Specific Types of Disabilities
Blindness and Low Vision
- American Council of the Blind
- American Foundation for the Blind
- Free screenreader - GW Micro's screen reader Windows-Eyes is now free for anyone with a Microsoft Office 2010 or later license.
- Guidebook for Visually Impaired Students - a resource where students can find scholarships and information about assistive technology
Chemical and Electrical Sensitivities
- National Center for Environmental Health Strategies - fosters the development of creative solutions to environmental health problems
Chronic Diseases and Cancer
- American Heart Association
- American Diabetes Association
- American Cancer Society
- Understanding Cancer - from the Mesothelioma Group
- American Childhood Cancer Society
- LD.org - National Center for Learning Disabilities siteincludes resources and educational materials
- Learning Disabilities Association of America
- NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) has local chapters for support groups
- TEAM Up provides resources to encourage deeper reporting and more accurate depictions of people living with mental illness, including a style guide.
- Multiple Sclerosis Resources - from the MS Rehabilitation Research and Training Center
- Building a Life offers resources and support for families of young adults with disabilities who are transitioning into adult life.
Traumatic Brain Injury
- Traumatic Brain Injury Model System - includes resources and educational materials
- Model Systems Knowledge Translation Center - resources on TBI, spinal cord injury and burn injury
Wheelchair Users and Spinal Cord Injury
- FacingDisability.com - A site for families experiencing spinal cord injury (SCI), with videos and an "Ask the Experts" feature
- "How To" Video Library, Craig H. Neilsen Foundation - Advice for wheelchair users on how to go up the escalator, how to sit down skiing, how to transfer and more.
- On-line Tool for Wheelchair Consumers - from UsersFirst, a program of United Spinal Association
- United Spinal Association - Resources to improve the quality of life of all people living with spinal cord injuries and disorders
- Paralyzed Veterans of America - Publications for diverse audiences, including e-books and apps for I-Pads and smartphones
- Craig Hospital - Excellent information on preventing pressure sores and other health issues
- BrainandSpinalCord.org - Resources and information for brain and spinal cord injury providers
- Northwest Regional Spinal Cord Injury System Center - Practical videos in the SCI Forum
Assisting Consumers with Specific Disabilities - The National Disability Navigator Resource Collaborative provides fact sheets on how to assist consumers with traumatic brain injury, mental illness, autism, multiple sclerosis and other disabilities.