Community Participation Practices of Centers for Independent Living Identification Study Funded by Federal Government

LAWRENCE, KAN. — Researchers at the University of Kansas and the University of Montana are working together to identify center for independent living practices that encourage community participation of people with disabilites.

The federal government funds centers for independent living to provide peer counseling, information and referral, independent living skills training, and advocacy. Centers also can provide other services, including assistance in moving from an institution to a community.

“We are working with the National Council on Independent Living or the Association of Programs for Rural Independent Living and also with individuals who have disabilities to identify best practices that increase community participation of people with disabilities,” said Glen White, Ph.D., project director. This study also will identify center characteristics that emphasize consumer participation in the community and identify those that do not.

Centers can use this information to better their programs. Also, recent consumers from the centers for independent living identified in the first part of this study will be surveyed regarding the extent of community participation.


The University of Kansas is a major comprehensive research and teaching university. This project is one of several being done by the Research and Training Center on Measurement and Interdependence in Community Living, a consortium of U.S. researchers. RTC/MICL is based at the RTC/IL, which is part of the Life Span Institute.


Glen White, Ph..D

April 22, 2007